South Island of New Zealand with Luke Austin and Ted Gore
April 22 – May 1, 2017, 8 participants
$3690 USD per person twin share. Single supplement an additional $660USD.
Join Ted Gore and Luke Austin on the incredible South Island of New Zealand during what is one of the most photogenic times of the year.... Autumn.
Luke Austin is an Australian born landscape and nature photographer currently based in Perth, Western Australia and was awarded the 2015 International Landscape Photographer of the Year. Luke has spent time travelling and photographing throughout Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United States of America, and also leads workshops all over the world. Luke is constantly out looking for new compositions, view points and subject matter to photograph while continually refining and developing his photographic techniques.
Ted Gore is the 2015 USA Landscape Photographer of the Year and is widely considered to be at the pinnacle of modern landscape photography. His imagery is nothing short of astounding. Each of Ted's images have been carefully crafted with great emphasis on composition and atmosphere. Ted's wealth of knowledge when it comes to capture and post processing is unsurpassed.
The duration of the workshop is 10 jam packed days that will cover either side of the Southern Alp mountain range. With a vast variety of landscapes on offer including snow capped peaks, glaciers, waterfalls, vibrant fall colors and dramatic coastal scenes you're in for a treat. The tour commences and ends in picturesque Queenstown on the shores of stunning Lake Wakatipu.
Not only will you be taken to some of the best photographic locations the South island has to offer but you will also be be guided through the entire process of making compelling imagery from in-field techniques right through to post production. You will be instructed on visualisation, finding dynamic compositions, how to best utilize different types of lighting, capturing full dynamic range, raw conversion, blending, masking, sharpening and more!
Both Ted and Luke will be at your beck and call for the duration of the workshop.
- Mt. Cook
- Arthurs Pass
- Lake Tekapo
- West Coast
- Processing Sessions
- World Class Food, Wine, and Beer!
What's Included/Not Included
- 9 nights accommodation
- Transportation on the Island
- Transfers from and to Queenstown Airport
- National Park Passes and Permits
- All excursions
- In field instruction and guidance (composition, visualisation and execution, focus stacking
- Post processing sessions (including raw conversion, exposure blending, various forms of masking, go to techniques for final polish, print preparation and sharpening for web)
- Countless memorable experiences!
- Flights to/from Queenstown
- Meals / Snacks
- Camera Equipment
- Personal Insurances
- Further Personal Expenses
Safety Preparation and Physical Requirements
While adventure and great photos are our main goal, your safety is a priority along with treating the land we travel on with respect, practicing "leave no trace" ethics. Ted and Luke are seasoned backcountry travelers, and Ted is a Wilderness First Responder certified by Wilderness Medical Associates.
In order for participants to have a comfortable experience where they can concentrate on the photography, it is highly advised that you be physically able to hike comfortably for several miles. Most hiking on this workshop is not far or strenuous. One hike does have a distance of 7 miles round trip over moderate terrain. It is also advisable to have proper attire consisting of non-cotton outdoor dedicated clothing, including an assortment of layers to keep you comfortable in temperatures ranging from 30 F up to 70 F.
What to bring
- Camera: Any camera will suffice however it is recommended that a setup with interchangeable lenses is most suitable. Please ensure you are at least somewhat familiar with your cameras basic operation.
- Lenses: There will be shooting opportunities from wide angle scenes through to distant compositions so a focal range from 14mm through to 200mm (in 35mm format terms) is ideal however you do not need to have this full range covered. Upon booking Ted and Luke will send through a form asking exactly what equipment you have and will suggest exactly what to bring.
- Filters: If you have filters bring them along. If not Ted and Luke will have filters on hand to show what type of effects can be achieved with them.
- Tripod: A sturdy tripod really is a must as we will be photographing at times when there is little light around.
- Batteries and Chargers
- Memory Cards / Storage
- Suitable Clothing and Footwear: The temperatures in the early mornings can drop slightly below freezing so it is recommended that participants bring the appropriate clothing. You will be provided further details on recommended clothing with a detailed itinerary upon booking.
- Laptop: Please ensure that you have either Adobe Lightroom and/or Photoshop pre loaded and operating smoothly.
- Head Torch
- Water Bottle
Payment, Terms, and additional information.
- The cost of the workshop is $3600USD with a deposit of $1000USD due upon reserving your spot on the workshop. This deposit is non-refundable unless you are able to sell your spot on the workshop to someone else.
- The final balance of the total is to be paid in full by January 31st 2017.
- Booking made after January 31, 2017 are to be paid in full.
- Payment can be made via direct deposit or paypal.
A written notice of any cancellation must be received directly from you. The following cancellation fees apply.
- If cancelled between February 22nd 2017 and the 22nd of March 2017, 50% of the workshop cost will be payable.
- If cancelled between 22nd March 2017 and 22nd April 2017, a fee equal to 100% of the workshop cost will be payable.
- No refunds will be made for unused portions of the workshop. The photography workshop is sold as a land package (no airfares included).
- Cancellation fees are not transferable.
Please check if your county of citizenship is included in the list of visa waivered countries....